Not that we’re trying to help you spend your money or anything, but i09 has published a list of upcoming films for this year that would no doubt interest us Nerds here. In fact, there’s a listing of future releases available, including Australian release dates here, if you want to plan your movie going experience for the next year.
You never know – if I can get my act together, you’ll be seeing more reviews from me (forewarned is forearmed!).
At any rate, below I’ve listed the ones that sound ace-tops and all kinds of awesome and I am mustard keen to see, in no particular order. I’ve not included the superhero movies as they’re more Film Nerd’s bag than mine!
- Pirates Of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides – I don’t care about the plot, Johnny Depp returning to his role as Captain Jack is all I need to know.
- Burlesque – Cher runs a Burlesque club that’s on the skids.
- I Am Number Four – Alien or genetically modified teen tries to not be killed like three others of his kind.
- Battle: Los Angeles – UFOs attack Earth and LA becomes the place for mankind’s final stand.
- Limitless- Bradley Cooper discovers a drug that makes him superhuman.
- Your Highness – fantastical story of a chap sent on a quest to rescue his brother’s fiance, starring Zooey Deshenel and Natalie Portman.
- Priest – Paul Bettany as a priest facing vampires in a post-apocalyptic world.
- X-Men: First Class – tells the tale of how two men went from Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, best friends to Professor X and Magneto, worst enemies.
- Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Part 2 – Harry and Voldy come face-to-face finally in the last movie of this franchise.
- Cowboys and Aliens – Apache Indians and Western settlers must set aside their differences when an alien spaceship crash lands in their city.
- Now – From the director of ‘Gattaca’ and writer of ‘The Truman Show’, a near-future parable where everybody can be eternally youthful, but you’re on a countdown, and if that time runs out, you die.
- Real Steel – Hugh Jackman and boxing robots FTW.
- The Thing – the prequel to the sci-fi classic, starring our own Joel Edgerton.
- Contagion – sounds like ‘Outbreak’ but with Kate Winslet and Matt Damon.
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Part 1) – the pentultimate in this trashy teen vampire series.
- Hugo Caberet – Martin Scorsese directs the tale of a young boy who hides inside a Paris train station and ends up repairing a mechanical man.
- Sherlock Holmes 2 – Robert Downey Jnr. and Jude Law team up once again to foil Dr. Moriarty.